County Record Book Competition
The California 4-H Youth Development Program has a long history of record-keeping as an activity by 4-H members. In early 4-H history, Record Books focused on project profit and loss and other activities in agricultural and home economics projects.
As 4-H moved from a primarily agricultural focus to encompassing suburban and urban clubs, the Record Book process changed. In the 1980s, the state level Record Book was reformatted to conform to national achievement (which was then eliminated in the early 1990s) and the core values of the 4-H Youth Development Program. In the 21st century, the 4-H Record Book has undergone another transformation to ensure positive outcomes of youth participating in the 4-H Youth Development Program. Practices have been modified to meet the needs of a changing society. In order for the 4-H Record Book process to pilot youth into prepared and engaged partners within their communities, it has undergone changes to meet the mission of 4-H Youth Development.
Record Book Forms
2022-23 CA 4-H Record Book Forms (Word Version)
The 2022-23 Record Books for LA County Competition are due:
- September 5, 2023 by 4pm - In Los Angeles or Antelope Valley 4-H Office
- September 6, 2023 by 9pm - To an Incentives & Recognition Committee Member
The books must be submitted with appropriate forms. The books will be judged on September 9, 2023.
Possible updates for COVID-19 and record books
At this time, we cannot predict what the conditions relating to the COVID-19 pandemic will be in the future.
We will still have a county record book competition for 2022-2023 4-H Record Books and it would probably be run much like it was for evaluating 2022-2023 record books.
- We will probably be following the above deadlines of Sept. 5 and Sept. 6 for record book turn in.
- If you are not comfortable submitting your record book for the competition, you could complete your record book with all the required signatures, make a copy of the 2022-2023 portion and submit the copy to the county competition. Indicate on the ID form that you are submitting a copy and whether you want the copy returned to you after the competition or not.
- During the program year, watch for further information on any special guidelines due to pandemic restrictions.
Contact a member of the county I&R Committee if you have any questions about record books.